A classic photo of the Try Again Gold Mine circa 1860. Courtesy State Library of Victoria.

This page is the result of researching and accumulating quite a deal of information, records, newspaper cuttings, and images relating to the Try Again Gold Mining Company at Devils Kitchen, about a mile south of Piggoreet, and some 32 kilometres south west of Ballarat, one of the early gold rush areas of Victoria, Australia. The following map is intended to provide a visual impression of where this mine was in relation to Ballarat, the nearest point of reference to the Mine Site is "Piggoreet Wt" ( Piggoreet West ) near Happy Valley.

Local old time Regional Ballarat district map

This particular Gold Mine near the Springdallah region was of particular interest to our early Richardson relations, the first to known official family Company Shareholders being John Liddell and William Calvert in February of 1861, William Calvert being the major shareholder with 7 shares worth an estimated massive £840 in total.

Summary of Gold Mining Shares held by John Liddell. Courtesy Victorian Government Gazettes.

William Calvert and John Liddell were related by the marriage of William's sister Mary Calvert to Joseph Liddell, John Liddell's third brother. According to the Victorian Government Gazette, in March of 1862 full Share prices in the Try Again Gold Mine had increased from £140 to £200 each, and by November 1862 William Calvert's brother-in-laws Thomas Broadwood and John Hewitson had become shareholders.

Early Shareholders listing of the Try Again Gold Mine, noted at Springdallah.

It is also of interest to point out that other family members, William's younger brother John Russell Calvert, along with John's brother-in-laws Hugh and Joseph Coulson, had been mining in this immediate neighbourhood from about 1859, in the Cleft in the Rock Gold mine, located on the other side of the same hill from the Devils Kitchen, at the bottom end of Piggoreet township. John Russell Calvert was related to Hugh and Joseph Coulson, per John's marriage to their sister Jane Coulson in 1853 at Allendale, UK. These are great examples of mutual family support and networking together of so long ago, it should be easy for some readers to imagine these family members having a nobbler or two of Ballarat beer together at John and Jane Liddell's Try Again Hotel at Piggoreet, after a hard and hot days work a few hundred feet underground.

Although not confirmed as a formal Shareholder, another relation William Armstrong, wrote to his family in the UK. in 1864, saying "I still work at the Try Again. There is about 30 men working there, and we have got two horses working down below now." Having outlined a little background as to how these adaptable and versatile Lead Ore miners from Northern England worked as a close-knit team, it is an honour to be able to present

At left, family photo of William & John Russell Calvert's sister, Mary Liddell nee Calvert, and right John Russell Calvert's wife Jane Coulson. Photo of Jane Calvert nee Coulson reproduced Courtesy
Written permission for reuse - Federation University Centre Gippsland Studies, Monash University Research Repository.

At left, family photo of Joseph Liddell born 1844 from Allendale, third brother of John Liddell, and right, older his brother-in-law John Russell Calvert born 1831 Stotgill UK. Photo of John Russell Calvert Courtesy http://arrow.monash.edu.au/hdl/1959.1/70376
Written permission for reuse - Federation University Centre for Gippsland Studies, Monash Uni Research Repository.

These two typical hard working "Aussie blokes", Joe Liddell and John Calvert, were actually brothers-in-law, and the simplest way to describe how the Calvert, Coulson, and Liddell clans were related, is to mention that Joseph Liddell's eldest son, ( our researchers great grand father ) was William Couslon Calvert Liddell, was born in 1875 at Scarsdale on the Gold fields. The Coulson part of his moniker was named from his grandmother's maiden name, Mary Coulson born in Allendale U.K. in 1814, and Calvert derived from his mother's maiden name Mary Calvert, also born in Allendale 1841.

Gold Mining Company share records from Victoria, in the actual 1850's may be described as "rare as hen's teeth". However, seemingly endless research hours have gone into searching and locating a "digital pile" of Victorian newspaper cuttings, from the early 1860s. As a collective group, family in this site had financial investments in about 20 different registered Mining Companies throughout Victoria into the 1890s, primarily located south west of Ballarat, but a few others nearer to Bendigo, Beechworth, and Stawell. It seems logical to focus on the two most successful family Gold Mining Company interests, not so far from the Eureka Stockade event at Ballarat, at a tiny place noted as having a few different names in this era, being Piggoreet, also known as Devil's Kitchen, and at times also referenced as Springdallah.

Although this overview refers basically to only 7 men within these 5 families, their skill range and resources between them were quite astounding, ranging from numerous minor Shareholders, 2 major shareholders, Mine Secretary, 2 Mine Managers, Mine Auditor, and even a Mine Advisor. So lets also focus on our best resources found to date, being those of the Try Again Gold Mining Company, although it may debatable whether their neighbouring Cleft in the Rock Gold mine, may have been more successful financially ?

- a classic example of great family networking.

An accurate formal representation of the complete regional Mining Surveyor's Report, by Ray Supple and represented by Mr P Milner courtesy of Wiki Spaces, is shown here, interspersed with relevant newspaper cuttings and images, in order to provide a realistic summary of the History from the outset of the Try Again Mine, as pictured below here with special thanks to our State Library.

The Try Again Gold Mine at Devils Kitchen in 1861 - Courtesy State Library of Victoria.

Original Reports shown are by P Milner extracted from,
Download Heritage Assessment by Ray Supple in 1998 from Wikipedia
Review on-line Report Courtesy of Victorian Heritage Database

Site of The Try Again Gold Mine at Devils Kitchen in 2015 - Courtesy Researcher Mixo Sydenham.

SITE NO. & NAME: 72 Try Again Gold Mining Company and Tunnelling parties workings.
LOCATION: Piggoreet
HI NO: H7622-0380

DIRECTIONS: On the east bank of the Springdallah Creek Valley 700 m south of the intersection of the Happy Valley Road and Golden Lake Road. The shaft is 100 m south of the car park at the end of the road into Devils Kitchen.
LAND STATUS: Freehold/Public Land

HISTORY: TUNNEL COMPANY, described as being north of the Grand Trunk Protection Company and east of the Alpha Co.
TRY AGAIN COMPANY (new name from November 1860)
09.1859 Work started. Ref 1170
07.1860 Confirmed that the Linton (Linton Park Freehold) and Lucky Woman's Leads pass through this company's claim. 1171

A much later photo of another claim at Lucky Woman's c1935 - Courtesy the internet ?

09.1860 Have driven several hundred feet but have not yet found the gutter; they may be too high judging by the adjoining claim of the Cleft in the Rock Co.1172

The Cleft in the Rock Gold Mine in 1860, a major family investment - Courtesy State Library of Victoria.
That's probably some of the Coulsons, Calverts, or Broadwood family pictured here, if you look closely at the 6 people shown in this particular old time photo.

11.1860 Have encountered trap rock abreast of their drive after driving for 900 feet; about 60 feet above their drive is a reef which will pay about 0.5 oz per ton; this reef was found in the Italians tunnel. The gutter which the Cleft of the Rock Co. found is below their tunnel.1173

Advert for Tenders to sink the Try Again Mine shaft in 1860.

12.1860 Abandoned their tunnel after 16 months work and will sink a shaft in Devil's Kitchen at the extremity of their claim so as to avoid 150 feet of basalt rock.1174

Shareholder record indicating William Calvert as the major Company Shareholder, and one of his brother-in-laws John Liddell as a minor holder in Feb 1861 - early days for the Try Again Gold Mine.

03.1861 Shaft is down 80 feet.1175
04.1861 Swamped out at 70 feet.1176
05.1861 Brought a splendid engine.1177
06.1861 Machinery on the ground.1178
07.1861 Steam engine nearly fitted up.1179
08.1861 Nearly completed the erection of their machinery, the largest in the district.1180
09.1861 Shaft down 73 feet; putting in pumps and their machinery will be erected in 3 weeks.1181
11.1861 Sinking.1182
12.1861 Have not started yet.1183
Stopped to await machinery.1184

Another advert for Shaft Sinking Tenders in 1862

06.1862 Restarted sinking again in Devils Kitchen.1185

A 25 pound sterling Dividend paid to Shareholders, advertised twice in Oct 1862.

Updated Share listings of Nov 1862, indicating changes in Shares held by family members William Calvert, John Liddell, John Hewitson, and Thomas Broadwood.

12.1862 Getting 92 oz per week.1186

It seems the original Try Again Mine Manager Edwin Moon, came to grief by stabbing in Feb of 1863.

06.1863 Tunnel in 1250 feet; shaft down 250 feet, 7 feet 6 inches by 3 feet 3 inches for the first 150 feet, 9 feet by 4 feet for the remaining 50 feet; machinery includes 20 inch by 36 inch steam engine for winding and puddling, boiler measuring 32 feet 6 inches by 6 feet 6 inches, puddling machine with cast iron bottom and wrought iron sides, 12.5 inch draw-lift, trucks, and cages.1187

Mining Intelligence report from Sydney on good finds at the Cleft in the Rock claim in 1863.

07.1863 Yield of nearly 80 oz per week.1188
10.1863 Unable to puddle for 3 weeks while machinery repaired.1189

Shareholders Notice, Cleft in the Rock Gold Mining Company, Ballarat Star 22nd Feb 1864.
Kindly note - the top 5 Shareholders are all family members.

As a brief outline of exactly how other successful family members networked together on the Victorian Goldfields, lets start with Hugh Coulson, who is noted to be the major Shareholder of the Cleft in the Rock Gold Mining Company at Springdallah in 1864. Hugh's brother Joseph was the mine manager, and also had a reasonably healthy number of Company Shares. Considering the financial involvement of their brother-in-law John Russell Calvert, his older brother William Calvert, plus the interest and experience of the Calvert's brother-in-law, Thomas Broadwood, these branches of our family played a major role in the ownership, management, and direction of this particular Gold Mine.

02.1864 Using two winding shafts, 2 puddling machines, Round's patent chains, and 15 inch gauge tramway in all drives which is laid with 15 pound rail.1190

For explanation of Puddling and other old time Gold Mining techniques, view http://www.gutenberg.org

03.1864 Improving after being indifferent for several weeks.1191

General meeting of the Try Again Gold Mine in Apr 1864.

06.1864 Getting excellent wash-dirt.1192
09.1864 Has great fluctuations and is at a low point at the moment.1193
12.1864 Dividend of about £4 per man per week.1194
1864 Gave good returns throughout the year.1195

Family Shareholders of the Try Again Gold mine in Sep 1864, being William Calvert, John Liddell, and Thomas Broadwood. Kindly Note that John Liddell has greatly increased his investments, whereas William Calvert has decreased his holdings only marginally in comparison.

Mining Intelligence report of Jan 1865. The Archer Mine mentioned here was next door to John Liddell's Try Again Hotel, as outlined at the end of this Surveyors Report.

03.1865 One of the major mines in the Springdallah locality.1196
06.1865 Yield of 171 oz for a week recently and should be able to maintain this yield.1197
08.08.1865 Three compartment shaft is 7 feet 6 inches by 3 feet 6 inches clear and is down 190 feet; equipment includes a 22 inch by 42 inch steam engine for pumping, winding and puddling, a Cornish boiler: 32 feet 6 inches by 6 feet, a 12.5 inch draw-lift, 2 puddling machines with cast iron bottoms and wrought iron sides, 16 feet in diameter by 2 feet 4 inches high, a 4 foot by 2 foot amalgamating barrel; the puddling machines and amalgamating barrel are belt driven from the steam engine; a quicksilver cradle is used to finish sand from the amalgamating barrel; a Round's patent flat chains, cages; a 14.25 inch cylinder steam engine is being made by Wright of Melbourne for winding.1198

Info (PDF) re Steam Engines used in Gold mines, including William Wright of Melbourne.

09.1865 Getting excellent returns.1199
17.10.1865 Three days delay due to bursting of blow-off pipe; a 14.25 inch cylinder steam engine for winding purchased from William Wright in Melbourne for £260, which is £60 less than the imported one of the same size; the boiler is 25 feet by 5 feet 6 inches with angle iron stay around flue, it was supplied by J. Birrell Lands for £227 sterling; a third puddling machine was erected for £212 10s; contract let to extend building over third machine and erect a tank, 12 feet by 12 feet by 6 feet, for £74 15s.1200
14.11.1865 Erecting new machinery.1201
12.1865 One of the best paying claims.1202
1865 Continued to give good returns, 90 ounces per week giving 7s 6d per share weekly dividend; shares were selling at £40.1203
02.01.1866 Repairing and overhauling machinery; pumping water out of mine for an early resumption.1204
03.1866 Paying well and have a large extent of ground in their claim.1205

Closure notification of the Try Again Gold mine Apr 1866.

29.05.1866 To stop in a fortnight to clean boiler and install kick ups to do away with doors on trucks.1206
06.1866 Yield last week of 164.5 oz; have struck the Smythesdale Lead in their claim and so have access to this and the Happy Valley Lead.1207
24.07.1866 3 days lost spent in cleaning the boiler; 44,052 trucks of wash dirt raised for the quarter.1208
09.1866 Yield for the week was 103 oz 12 dwt.1209

A dividend of 15 schillings per scrip paid by the Mining Company in may of 1867.

06.1867 Paying regular dividends.1210

Atlas and Golden Lake Company meeting notices as published in the Ballarat Star newspaper in 1867.

26.07.1867 Mine flooded due to stoppage of the Atlas and other mines adjoining; eventually baled out with two tanks. Incline put in to allow horses to bring wash dirt out of large crab hole; 33,857 trucks of wash dirt raised for the quarter.1211

Another local family concern in the early 1860s, The Atlas Gold Mining Company going back to 1862.

Obvious family Atlas GMC shareholders already mentioned above were William Calvert, William Bell, and Thomas Broadwood, however as it turned out, fellow Atlas Shareholder William Hewett was a very close friend of William Calvert, as he was nominated as William's co-executor of his Last Will and Testament.

09.1867 Resumed work after several weeks of constant baling along the lead by all mines in the district.1212

Extract of Mining Surveyors Report from the Government Gazette for quarter to 30 Sep 1867.

16.10.1867 47,000 trucks of wash dirt raised between 7 July and 28 September.1213
12.1867 Yield for the quarter 2395 oz 13 dwt 13 gr.1214
03.1868 Yield for the quarter 2575 oz 17 dwt 12 gr.1215
25.04.1868 50,774 trucks of wash dirt raised for the quarter; 24 hours lost in cleaning the boiler; 12 hours lost due to breakage of pump rods and 12 through breakage of the piston cover of the winding engine.1216
06.1868 Will be worked out in a week; yield for the quarter 1422 oz. 1217

Notices for Try Again, Atlas, and Linton Park Freehold companies from Jul 1868.

08.1868 Plant and machinery sold at auction for £746.1218
(new company)

Example of later Victorian Government Mining machinery statistics from the Government Gazette in 1869.

01.1870 Shaft down 220 feet; water light; to fix pumps.1219
06.1871 Yield for the quarter 365 oz 8 dwt.1220
12.1871 Fair show of gold but work is suspended pending purchase of a larger steam engine.1221
1871 Average fortnightly yield for the year was 60 oz. 1222
06.1872 Yield for the quarter 484 oz. 1223
12.1872 Yield for the quarter 320 oz. 1224
1872 Average weekly yield for the year was 25 oz. 1225
03.1873 Yield for the quarter 284 oz 11 dwt.1226
06.1873 Yield for the quarter 287 oz. 57
09.1873 Yield for the quarter 303 oz. 1227
12.1873 Yield for the quarter 257 oz 18 dwt.58
1873 Mining ceased between the Trunk and the Lake mines during this year.1228

Grand Trunk Mining claim noted as Springdallah (Piggoreet) in 1861.

1860 to 1873 Recorded production of 27,425 oz (or 853.018 kg).1229

N. D. Worked on conglomerate; it was mined and left out in the open to weather; the party had a tunnel which went through the wall of the Kitchen; some of this conglomerate is on the surface on the east side of the Springdallah Creek valley.1231


So from the above report, one would say an investor with shares of 27,425 ounces of gold from the Try Again Mine probably benefited quite well financially. The average wage of a miner was about 2 to 3 pounds per week around this period, however, dividends from shares in many Gold Mining companies often surpassed an average weekly wage.


The following is a list of most of the known Shareholders in the Try Again Gold Mining Company at Piggoreet, Victoria, (in addition to our family investors William Calvert, John Liddell, John Hewitson, and Thomas Broadwood), in order other researchers may be able to locate their gold digger families, involved in this mine and others in this region. Kindly note, there are some quite common names in this list, making it difficult to confirm definite connections with other mines, in which case no references have been added. About a quarter of the Shareholders shown here were found to have no other Gold Mining Company investments, other than the Try Again Gold Mine at the Devils Kitchen.

From Left, are Shareholder Names, stated residence(s), and other gold mining interests.

Robert Atthey - Piggoreet,
John Balmain - Piggoreet,
John Nixon Brown - Smythesdale, Piggoreet,
Robert Brown - Piggoreet,
Alexander Fenton - Ballarat, (Shareholder Crosbie Freehold Gold Mining Company, Dead Horse via Ballarat, and The Age Quartz Mining Company at Pleasant Creek),
John L. Fenton - Ballarat, (Shareholder Crosbie Freehold Gold Mining Company, Dead Horse via Ballarat, and The Age Quartz Mining Company at Pleasant Creek),
William Hall - Portland Bay,
Thomas Higson - Italian Gully,
Thomas Anderson Johnson - London England,
Timothy Jordan - Smythesdale,
George Kelly King - Smythesdale, Ballarat,
William Lawrence - Lake Learmouth,
John Lee - Smythesdale, Newtown,
Thomas Littler - Piggoreet,
Frederick A. Lund - Springdallah, (Mine Manager Alpha Gold Mine at Springdallah, initial Shareholder in Cressy Grand Confluence Gold Mining Company near Bulldog, Shareholder Exchecequer Gold Mine at Springdallah)
Samuel Maddison - Piggoreet, (Mine Manager Golden Horn, Springdallah),
William Maughan - Piggoreet, (Mine Manager Try Again Gold Mine),
George Montgomery - Springdallah,
Edwin Moon - Springdallah, Piggoreet, (Mine Manager Try Again and Archer Gold Mines, also involved in the Break o Day and Premier Mines),
W. T. Morris - Geelong, (Shareholder Rising Star Gold Mining Company, Creswick Rd Ballarat),
John Noble - Geelong, (Shareholder Smythesdale and Browns Junction Gold Mining Company, Scarsdale, and United Extended Band of Hope GMC at Ballarat),
Robert Peart - Newtown, (Shareholder in Cressy Grand Confluence Gold mining company),
James Rankin - Ballarat, Golden Point Lead, (Shareholder Welcome Nugget Quartz Mining Company at Bakery Hill)
Robert Reid - Piggoreet,
Robert Rube - Lucky Woman's,
William Edward Rubie - Lucky Woman's,
John Suffren - Ballarat, (Shareholder in the Phoenix Gold Mining Company at Bunkers Hill),
John Turner Thomas - Geelong,
Alexander Thompson - Scotland,
John Thompson - Piggoreet,
Samuel Thompson - Springdallah, Piggoreet, (Mine Manager Golden Horn Gold Mine)

Mullock heap of the Golden Horn mining site in 2015 - Courtesy Researcher Mixo Sydenham.

Samuel Watterson - Smythesdale, Piggoreet, ( Shareholder Golden Gate Gold Mine at Sago Hill )
William Watterson - Smythesdale,
James Williamson - Ballarat,
John Dean Williamson - Smythesdale, Scarsdale, ( Shareholder Golden Lake Gold Mine at Scarsdale )
Peter Wolner - Springdallah,

Also highly recommended reading is a fantastic summary of the Township of Piggoreet where many of our family lived and worked, courtesy of Joan Hunt and the Victoria Public Records Office.

For another snapshot if you like, from an independent viewpoint, of life at The Devils Kitchen (or Piggoreet), written by the official correspondent (reporter) of the Australasian Newspaper on the 8th of Oct 1864, at an unusual time when the paydirt of the Try Again mine actually ebbed downwards. The article was titled



The Devil's Kitchen is the not inappropriate name given to a wild romantic gorge situated some half-dozen miles to the south-ward of Scarsdale. Lying away from the road, it attracted little attention until the Main Scarsdale Lead was traced past it, when the miners soon made its wonders known, but, at the same time, broke its charm of solitude. The approaches to it are bad enough, in all conscience. The path is very like one which leadeth to destruction, as the entrance to Satanic dominions should be, but as for its being broad and pleasant, any traveller thereon will emphatically deny the statement. Still, as we proceed we passthrough some beautiful country. The whole of the district is of basaltic formation, and when this is the case, the surface is generally found well greased, and of a peculiarly park-like appearance. The country here is no exception to the rule. Pleasant vistas of timbered hills and turfed dales are beheld—the sombre gums relieved by the presence of an unusual quantity of lightwood, by far the greenest and the prettiest tree produced by Australian forests. Traversing scenes like this, we suddenly open upon the course of the Wardy Yallock Creek, running through a deep sloping cleft in the rocky strata below us. At one spot the stream flows through a narrow defile into a crater-shaped basin nearly surrounded by perpendicular walls of broken basalt. This is the Devil's Kitchen—in truth, a weird-looking place—a huge hollow hemmed in by beetling cliffs. A space of some sixty acres is enclosed in this way by frowning, rugged, moss-covered walls. On one side, a wide sloping cleft permits us to descend, and view the scene from the interior. Gaining the lower level, we find the swollen Wardy Yallock Creek flowing in a broad channel, foaming against the boulders with which the surface is strewn. We cross the stream where it rushes noisily down a miniature rapid, balancing our-selves upon a pole which has been thrown across the main channel, and then jumping from boulder to boulder."

Later days of the Try Again Gold Mine at Devils Kitchen - Courtesy Boyles Break 'O Day site.

Review the official records of the Victorian Heritage Database for Break O Day Gold Mine at Rokewood.

Family Shareholders in the Break O Day Gold Mine at Rokewood in Apr 1865, including family members William Calvert and Thomas Broadwood.

"When fairly inside, we can appreciate better the height of the stone walls which confine us. Their towering, broken, half moss-grown sides cause a sense of personal insignificance. We can see better how exposure has blackened and browned, has cracked and gnarled, the surface of the rock, how a light moss has covered each projection, and how in one part the cliff rises up sheer from the interior level crystallised into long thin streaks. It was only natural that the straggler who first penetrated into so wild a glen should bestow upon it a name of dubious import; it may be that the suspected and unpleasant degree of truth in the designation. The lofty encircling cliffs, the rippling stream, the opening defiles, workup together, with a bright sun overhead, into an effective picture. To enjoy the scene properly, however—to enter into its wild peculiarities, solitude and silence are needed, and both, alas! have fled from the spot. In the cleft already mentioned two mining companies have effected a lodgement, lured to these depths by the prospect of having so much less basalt to sink through than they would if they commenced operations on the level of the country above. They have deep shafts, clanking engines, and dirty heaps of tailings."

Piggoreet Township about 1 kilometre from the devils Kitchen, photo taken 1866 - Courtesy State Library of Victoria.

"The 'Try Again' are down into a gutter of rich washdirt; the Alpha have struck deep ground, and have equally encouraging prospects. Little, therefore, do the miners repent of their intrusion. The Devil's Kitchen is literally paved with gold, and have the treasure they fully mean to. As for destroying the picturesque, they are hardened enough to contend that they have given life and animation to the place—a miserable delusion, for an artist could make nothing of their three-cornered, propped-up wooden buildings, and the miners themselves will by no means pass for the genii of the scene: cutty-pipes and knowing short jackets forbid the delusion."

At left, Devils Kitchen photo taken about 1910, with one mine standing, probably the Port Arthur Consols mine at the end of its heyday - Courtesy State Library of Victoria.
At right, the same Devils Kitchen site taken about a hundred years later, Courtesy Joan Hunt.

"All that the dreamy lover of nature can do, is to shut his ears to the miners' noise and his eyes too their presence. For one thing, he can turn his back upon them, and peer through the lofty gorge through which the Wardy Yallock flows away, and he can then mark the beautiful view afforded by the gradual shelving of the massive sides of the cleft. As these banks become less abrupt, their face of decomposed rock is covered with verdure, while their summits are crowned with timber, in the rifts of which a few bark huts, the homes of toiling miners or hardy wood-cutters, do not appear out of place. If tired of gazing, he can rest at the foot of the overhanging cliffs, and speculate as to the creation of the chasm—can surmise whether it was hollowed out by the ceaseless action of flowing water, whether it was the crater of some olden volcano, or whether it was formed at once and for aye in that mighty and awful operation of nature which spread a flood of liquid rock 300ft in-depth over the rivers and plains of an earlier world."

Neighbouring Wardy Yallock Creek - circa 1880 Courtesy National Gallery of Victoria.

"As matter of course, there being profitable claims about, a juvenile township has started into existence just outside the cauldron. It is a little place, consisting of a score or two of wooden houses, built on a hilly site, more picturesque than convenient. An odd sort of conflict has gone on with the Government departments as tithe name to be given to this rising settlement, the residents declaring in favour of an adhesion to the expressive selection from Satanic nomenclature first adopted, and the powers that be hesitating to sanction so broad a reference to a region hardly mentionable to ears polite. Some curious complications certainly did arise with the early and popular name. The Council of the Church of England, for instance, must have been astonished, if not perplexed, at the application forwarded to them for a 'lay reader for the Devil's Kitchen,' though of course they lost no time in securing a position in so vital a part of the enemy's dominion. The, too, the must have felt compromised."

John and Jane Liddell's property next to 3 blocks of land owned by Mathew Clementson, (an ex-neighbour from England), at the top end of town - Piggoreet Parish map of about 1860.

"Beyond this point, however, were brought to bear, and now the name of the Kitchen is to be mentioned no more, but that of Piggoreet is to be sounded instead. It is a name we shall hear more of in time to come, for the place is sure to flourish. It is one of the many infant settlements a traveller meets with in Victoria which has a prosperous future before it—gold at hand to give immediate wealth, and fertile acres waiting to be turned to profitable account. The tend about b a rich black loam, the depth of which the cart sticks mid the sticky bind demonstrate in 'rather an unpleasant manner. The mining resources of the district are very groat, and though much has been done to open them recently, It is evident that their development is now only commencing. Already, however, an extensive quartz reef is being worked in the locality, and on the Beared ale Lead many companies are In active Operation. At Piggoreet and in Its neighbourhood there ate now 'twenty-three mining companies, working twenty-eight engines, possessing a paid-up capital of £116,000, and 'giving direct employment to 760 men. As the district prospers so will its scenic curiosity, which we have attempted to describe here, be more and more broken into and destroyed, till the Wardy-Yallook becomes a sludge channel, and the 'Devil's Kitchen' a receptacle for tailings."

End of article - The Australasian Newspaper, 8th Oct 1864.

From Joseph Richardson born 1721 at Alston, U.K.

From John Armstrong born in 1705, Haltwhistle U.K.

From William Calvert born 1791 at Kirkhaugh, U.K.

From John Clementson born 1692 in Garrigill, U.K.

From William Coulson born 1760 in Cumberland, U.K.

From Robert Cochrane born 1778 in Eglington, U.K.

From Thomas Bell born 1806 of Allendale, U.K.

From Edward Hewitson born 1794 in Kirk Linton, U.K.

From James Broadwood born 1796 of Northumberland, U.K.

From Joseph Parker born 1810 at Allendale, U.K.

From Nicholas Vipond born 1655 in Alston, U.K.

Email here re enquiries, corrections, or input to this site